Thursday 10 September 2020

FHC resto nr. 103; Gutted

The plan was to busy myself with the bumper covers today. With the aim being to get the rear bumper ready to fit to the car and the covers for the front bumper ready for when the front bumper bar returns from coating. But I started with the rear. I have a few second hand spares in the shed so that was my first port of call.


That was the best set I could find. But after cleaning the covers it turned out that they had a fair amount of light surface scratches. Time for plan B! As ‘t Kreng will get a makeover after the ’76 car is ready, I removed the rear bumper from that car.


And after cleaning them they came up quite nicely. Fit for a freshly restored car. And after a good clean the covers from the shed don’t look out of place on ‘t Kreng! On to the next stage, the front covers.


Here again I used some parts from ‘t Kreng. The corner sections to be precise. The centre section from the shed turned out to be in very good condition indeed. So after cleaning them, the final task was fitting the covers to the rear bumper bar. But not before fitting the license plate to the centre section. And that is where it went horribly wrong. I thought it a good idea to use the battery drill. But despite the fact that the battery was freshly charged, it didn’t function. And while investigating what was wrong (battery not fitted correctly maybe?), it slipped from my hand. And it had the wretched courage to drop right on the most vulnerable point of the cover. So now I am looking for a decent replacement centre section!
And yes; that tiny scratch on the right of the picture was the only damage this cover had. Gutted really!



No comments: