Saturday 15 June 2019

Brake repairs for the DHC part 3


Since my last post it has been a bit quiet on all things TR7. Main reason for that was that I have been busy with work and other assorted jobs, leaving me with not enough time to start work on the car. Instead I used the limited and dispersed amounts of leisure time to re-process the pictures I took during a trip from which I returned exactly 10 years ago today, the result of which you can find in this edited blog entry
It also provided me with some moments to consider the various options for the jobs I have planned for the DHC. Most important ones being the modifications and replacements I have in mind for the braking system. The initial plan was to replace the brake master cylinder and servo only. But after giving it some more thought I have now decided to replace the ageing Ford based front callipers and discs setup (which I purchased from S&S Preparations many moons ago) too. This was mainly given in by the fact that I had the new parts lying around, waiting to be fitted to the ’76 FHC. And this car won’t be back on the road soon! The setup consists of widened M16 callipers to fit ø245x20mm vented discs. Not in the picture are the spacers that are going between the wheel hubs and the discs …



The fact that the currently fitted discs are almost 20 years old did help with the decision, as did the fact that the callipers were last refurbished over 10 years ago when I fitted them to the Bordeaux DHC while I was preparing that car for the 2007 edition of the 10CR.


And since then this set up has seen 12 years of action, and  many tough miles across Europe, including 5 editions of Club Triumph’s 10 Countries Run, 2 Alpine trips and a trip to Wales. This picture, taken after the Welsh trip, clearly shows the brakes have been used hard on this car 😈


So a good moment to replace the front brakes with new parts! And I should soon be able to report some progress on the PAS system.

No comments: