Sunday 16 June 2024

Fitting ‘t Kreng’s water pump

The title says it all. But sadly a fair amount of time yesterday and today was taken up watching the race of the year; Les 24 Heures du Mans. But I did manage to fit the reconditioned water pump. Where the old pump had put up something resembling a fight while removing it, the new one went in pretty smoothly. Probably helped by applying plenty of lubrication to all surfaces and the fact I paid some attention to meshing the water pumps gears with the gears from the idler shaft. After which the pump could be turned into position using a ring spanner on the impeller’s mounting bolt and turning it counter clock wise. As easy as that. Oh … and I didn’t change the bearing bush in the block as it was in good condition. And I do hope that within a few years I will be able to built a new engine for this car!


Next job was setting the clearance between the water pump’s impeller and the pump’s cover.. Rather straight forward though it took some time to get the base reading. According to the book you measure the gap between cover and the blocks contact surface (0,40 mm) and add 0,30 - 0,50 mm for the required gasket thickness. In the end I went for a gasket with a thickness of ± 0,80mm from my spares.


With the water pump back in place I could start with the less glamorous parts of the job, cleaning threads and removing old gaskets. Which did take much more time than expected.



So by the time everything was cleaned my mobile phone’s battery was running low, and the Le Mans race was entering its final stages. But it left me with enough time to fit the inlet manifold (paying extra attention to the infamous connecting tube (UKC2538, between the thermostat cover and the water pump cover) and clear away the tools. All in time to watch the final hour of the race on the telly. Refitting the carburettors etcetera hopefully in the coming week or so ... At least full circle with noon yesterday!



No comments: