Sunday 9 April 2023

‘t Krengs coolant system


To leak or not to leak, that is the question! As the driving season is about to start I decided to take ‘t Kreng for a short circa 100 kilometre trip last Saturday, to see how she behaved. But mainly to see if her fairly long period of idleness had had any effect on the coolant system. Six years ago I found a significant looking leak from the infamous connecting tube (UKC2538) between the thermostat housing and the water pump cover:


As the coolant level at the time had hardly been effected, I decided to ignore the leak for the time being. My reasoning being that the leak only appeared after the engine was switch off. This results in a short rise in the coolant system’s pressure, due to the coolant not being circulated anymore.
So over the following years I did keep a regular eye on this area. And sure enough the leak did reappear from time to time. Usually after the car had been idle for a longer period. But the leak would always disappear after a few tours. As these two pictures taken a few weeks apart during the spring of last year clearly show:



And after the car had cooled down from yesterdays trip I decided to inspect the water pump area in some detail. I needn’t have worried, the area was completely dry this time. Let the fun begin!




2 comments:

Russ said...

I had something similar when I built the Sprint engine using a new old stock water pump.
There was a minor weep from the slot initially but it soon settled down and it has been dry ever since.

Beans said...

All pumps I have fitted so far did weep a little after installation.
But they all sealed after some use.