Thursday 13 May 2021

FHC resto nr. 128; Sprint inlet manifold

Another sidestep! This time because some new tools and stainless fasteners arrived. I also needed some adhesive to bond the shift pattern into the gear lever knob. And while I was happily messing about with it I thought it a good idea to glue the two halves of my spare alloy SU carburettor mounts together. How I had them made has been documented previously HERE and HERE. So I won’t bore you with the details. And bonding the two halves together was pretty straightforward, using a small spatula to apply the (polymer) adhesive to two of the halves. After which the parts were clamped together using the counter sunk screw bolts that function as mounting studs for the carburettors. Easy!



Next job was to inspect and run a thread tap through all the threaded holes of the manifold. Turned out two holes had badly damaged threads. So these got a thread repair. Though one of the thermostat house bolt holes decided to put up a bit of a fight. But I got the thread insert fitted correctly in the end. So to make sure the insert really was OK, I decided to try to fit the thermostat housing first. But why trial fit when you have the parts lying around to fit it permanently? The thermostat is an original MG Rover item (PEL10002EVA). I even found a (i.m.h.o. highly recommended) cardboard gasket to go with thermostat housing



Turned out I needn’t have worried! Both bolts could be tightened down properly. Time for the last job on the manifold for now, fitting the carburettor’s mounts.




No comments: