Tuesday 16 July 2019

FHC resto nr. 79; Looming challenge

This evening I used a visit to the shed with a friend (who was in search for some spares) to have a look at the next job scheduled for the DHC: checking and refurbishing the wiring looms. The plan has always been to use one of my later (main) looms I have lying around, mainly because they have same extra fuses thrown in for free. But while fitting the heater a few months ago I had a proper look at the bulk head of the ’76 FHC. That’s when I first noticed that a few holes in the bulk head were missing, including this one, for the gearbox loom (the rather oil and heat affected grommet pictured in ‘t Kreng’s engine bay):


For comparison this is the same area (though slightly more empty) of the ’76 FHC:


Luckily the connector is inside the cabin and there is what looks like a suitable hole nearby in the transmission tunnel to feed the wiring through. So that shouldn’t be too difficult to adapt. Wishful thinking I presume!


And comparing the two looms didn’t reveal any insurmountable problems. Only the grommet for the bulkhead passage is much smaller on the earlier loom, while the hole looks (almost) the same diameter. Well at least changing grommets shouldn’t be too difficult, especially as I plan to change all connectors outside the cabin for modern weather proof items.


And the two wiring looms I used for comparison. Both will not be used, as I have a much better one in storage somewhere 😇 First a later loom, in this case from a Solihull car:


And the original, and soon to be discarded, loom that came from the car. Though it will get a second life in something completely different:


3 comments:

phil b said...

hi again...did you have to cut off the old connectors ?

Beans said...

Yes! But I cut them off directly behind the contacts to minimise the loss in length. So you'll have to remove the connector blocks first.

Beans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.