Wednesday 17 July 2019

Another small job on the DHC


While looking through my parts earlier this week I also stumbled across some NOS hood frame covers for the DHC (WKC3643-WKC3646) which I acquired somewhere in the past. I remember that at the time I gave it a try to fit them. But thought better of it, as it looked like the hood had to come off to change these covers. As a result of which I stored them away. And forgot about them. Till earlier this week that is when I stumbled across them again.


Although there’s hardly any visible difference, in the picture above of the old and new right hand covers, in reality the new ones look much better. Especially the sides hidden from the camera are scratched. And as by now it looked like an easy task I decided to fit the new ones (no point in storing new parts if there is a car that you can use them on! And I did have a few spare hours because I had to return from a trip with the DHC because the brakes were not what I’d call confident inspiring. More on that later!
So back to the original post, fitting the frame covers. That of course meant removing the old covers first. Although I had new plastic spreading rivets lying around somewhere (but where?) I made sure the old rivets came out undamaged, so they could be reused. And with a thin drift and a light hammer that wasn’t too difficult. All eight rivets came out fine.  I also managed not to lose any of the spreading inserts. And to aid access to the rivets I put up the hood partially.


Fitting the new covers was the proverbial “piece of cake”. But while working on the hood frame it became clear that somewhere in the not too distant future it has to come of the car for a proper clean and a new coating. Also the original straps have seen better times!



No comments: