Sunday 10 March 2019

FHC resto nr. 77; Heater rebuild part 8


Again a set back with the heater’s connecting tubes. It has already been several months ago that I visited the shed in search of a good original heater pipe assembly. But before sending it of for coating I thought it a good idea to have the ends shot blasted first to check if there was enough metal left there to get a water tight seal. There was. After which it was well over a month later that I finally found time and motivation to have them galvanised. Sadly something went wrong there and the assembly was badly damaged. Both pipes were torn from the mounting plate leaving me with three loose and parts:


Being rather fed up with the whole thing I decided to go back to one of my initial ideas for the pipes’ fire wall crossing. As the base plate was badly deformed where the tubes had been welded to it I decided to use the plate I prepared for my original set up last year. But with a slight adaptation of the extra mounting point to make sure this wouldn’t foul the larger grommets now being used: 



In my previous post I mentioned an upgrade I am working on for the DHC (actually PAS). As there still are some doubts about the clearance for such a set up I decided on another trip to the shed. This time  for a comparison picture of some inlet manifolds. Clearly visible is that the FI manifold needs some extra space at the front where the PAS pump should sit. And one of the other future plans is to the fit a modern injection set up to the DHC using an original set up as base:


Both to be continued, the heater hopefully soon! Because as long as that isn't fitted I can't and won't start with the wiring and the rest of the remaining jobs on the car …

No comments: