Wednesday 25 February 2015

FHC resto nr. 30; Sorting parts

With the final paint preparations postponed for a few weeks (hopefully not longer) I switched my attention to the various parts that need coating. As with the DHC I will use two methods for coating the parts, powder coating and zinc plating. The first method, powder coating shouldn't be a problem as I have currently three companies in the area to choose from. Zinc plating is a an altogether different problem. Since restoring the DHC the company I used for galvanising and (black) passivating some of the parts has changed hands. And that doesn't seem to have improved their quality. That search will be continued ...

Luckily there are also lots of parts that need to be powder coated. So over the past week I started with sorting through the first batch of storage boxes. To help here I used a parts list that I made up over the previous year, using the two parts manuals I have and the lists from a few years ago when I restored the DHC. And the first boxes I started with are from the interior and the boot/tank area ...




Clearly a few bits are still missing because they were either not fitted (I will upgrade some parts to later spec) or so badly worn/butchered/rusted, that they were discarded. Like this seat runner stop that had some welding done somewhere in a previous life. Clearly one that needs to be exchanged for a decent one from my parts hoard ...


Then there is the petrol duct panel. The car came with an incorrect late (small filler cap) rear deck, so the petrol filler duct had been ... euhhh ... reshaped a bit. This sadly meant that the original duct panel didn't fit anymore and had been discarded by the previous owner. Sadly the only early panel I have lying around is this one from a very early car we broke several years ago (ACG96L). But as you can see that needs a bit of welding. And not sure if the lower edge has been modified or not. Something to trial fit this weekend ...


But before they will be send of for coating they need some cleaning. And a few parts need some small alterations before they are coated.

No comments: