Sunday 14 March 2021

FHC resto nr. 124; Refurbishing facia harness RKC 4348

After taking lots of pictures of the facia loom last weekend, I took my time to carefully check all pictures. And when I was satisfied with the photographic records of the loom I could start with the actual job, starting with the main harness connectors. To remove these I had ordered a set of small connector removal tools. They were cheap and Chinese, and as such poor quality. But they did the job … sort off!


With the connector blocks removed, the initial impression of this harness was confirmed. All contacts were in very good condition. Though I gave them all a light polish just in case! After that the wires were cleaned with a rag moistened with petroleum ether. The connector blocks were treated to a hot bath in soapy water and a good scrub using an old tooth brush and a (trumpet) mouth piece brush. Which worked very well.



With everything cleaned it was time to put my photographic inventory to the test: adding the wires to the connector blocks. With the pictures on the screen in front of me, that was easy.


Plan was to remove the connector blocks for the facia switches next, but the tool decided it was enough. So far for cheap Chinese tools! As the connectors also looked in pretty good condition, I decided to just clean them. Though I might get back to these, once I have some better quality removal tools, which will be ordered soon. This left me with the removal of the harness’ wrapping tape and inspect and clean the remaining wires. Again no hidden horrors.




Remained the final job, wrapping the loom, using special non sticky PVC tape. A few hours this weekend well spent.



No comments: