Saturday 31 October 2020

New mudflaps for the DHC

During one of the very few tours with the DHC this year I managed to tear off both left hand mud flaps. This happened while reversing into a narrow entrance. But I overlooked the high curb on one side, which trapped the mud flaps between tyre and curb. With this result:


Luckily I have been using very simple mud flaps made from soft rubber for many years now. As a result the mud flaps were simply torn from
their mounting points without any further damage to the car’s body work. This left me with the fairly simple job of making some new flaps and put them on the car.


So when I was in their vicinity for one of my current sewerage projects, I paid a visit to “
Het Rubberhuis” in Maastricht. Here I ordered 6 rubber plates (dimensions 400x260x6mm), 2 for the DHC and a full set for the ’76 car.


And using the ripped off items as templates, it was easy to duplicate the outlines onto the new rubber plates and cut the new mud flaps in the correct shape. As the mounting points and bolts were fine, fitting the new mud flaps was pretty easy. Though a bit fiddly as room to work was confined a bit by the wheels.


Hopefully I will be able to use the car for a few more trips this year. It has been a bleak year so far from a TR7-driving point of view!

No comments: