Wednesday 1 July 2020

MOT: next in line


Last week the DHC got a certificate of good health during her biennial MOT. And this week it was ‘t Kreng’s turn. But not before I checked a few items that might cause trouble during the inspection last weekend. I started under the bonnet. First in line for a closer look were the carburettors:


Everything fine there. The linkage was still smooth and the inside of the throats also looked nice and clean, with no visible signs of back firing. Also the K&N air filters, the fuel hoses and all fuel connections were in good condition.
A further inspection of the engine bay showed nothing obviously wrong. No leaks and all levels on the mark.
The spark plugs and the brakes were not touched as the car behaved rather well during her first, and so far only, outing this year! And the rest of the engine bay also looked quite all right. Actually for a car that has been in more or less constant use since 1997, it doesn’t look too shabby!


Last in line were the front wheel bearings. Here I found the biggest problem, a slightly loose left hand front wheel bearing. But that was quite easy to rectify (or should be), using my tried and tested technique:

1. Remove the wheel to access and remove the bearing dust cap;

2. Refit the wheel, making sure it is firmly clamped down to the hub.
This way it is easier to detect any play in the bearing and to turn the wheel,
to listen for rumbling noises;

3. Make the necessary adjustments, until the wheel turns freely, and without any noticeable play. After which the nut retainer (21H5129) and split pin were refitted.

4. And finally the dust cap was refitted to the hub (sorry! I forgot the picture).

But I have to admit that one way or another I wasn’t quite happy with how the bearing felt. But maybe I am just overly worried, hearing rumbling bearings everywhere 😜. Luckily I had no time to inquire any further. So I decided to leave it for the professionals to judge during the biennial inspection!


And today was judgement day, so I again visited a friend’s workshop to present a car for her biennial test (or APK as it is called here). As usual the test started on the brake test platform. Sadly due to an injury (and partly old age J) the tester couldn’t get in the car. So I had to perform that part of the test for him. So no pictures of the three readings. But the car passed with flying colour with the following average readings; front ±4750N, rear ±1700N and handbrake ±1600N. The emissions test was next, and as expected this was also spot on, with a reading of just above 3,0 % vol. CO. (yes I was a bit too quick to take the picture, so I missed the point where the meter levelled out!).


The last part of the test was the visual inspection of the engine bay and suspension. And despite my slight worries all turned out to be fine. Another clean health declaration for the next 2 years!


And last but not least, at the end of this month my daily LaRo Defender will be the last in line! In that case it will be a full service and its annual inspection.

No comments: