Saturday 11 January 2020

New digital “notebook”


This post might not seem to belong here, but … after nearly 8 years of faithful service and almost daily use, my old compact camera (Canon Powershot G1X) developed a defect. This camera was used to capture the various jobs on my cars, but was also used for capturing the cars on various tours and events! And as a result most pictures in this blog since March 2012 were shot with this camera!


Considering the facts that the repair would cost somewhere between € 250,- and € 300,- and the camera is lacking 8 years of development & progress, I decided to go looking for a replacement.
As I have always used digital cameras from Canon, I decided to start the search there. It turned out to be a very short search indeed. After I read a fairly positive review of the new Powershot G5X Mk II in a photo magazine, I decided to give that one a try. I won’t bother you with the technical specifications (they can be found on the Internet), so  a few (mostly TR7 related) pictures I took during a trial shoot at a friend’s workshop (and former British Leyland dealer) earlier today.






Rather pleased with the results. It is quite clear that the sensor, focusing and optical technologies have improved considerably over the last 8 years! Added bonus is that it is much smaller (yes the pictures below are not the same scale 😋), has a slightly wider focal range, and better light sensitivity. And yes I did try the cameras on various smart phones but their image quality is still rather poor, especially under tricky light conditions or moving objects!

The old camera

The new camera

No comments: