Wednesday 23 October 2019

Testdrive for ‘t Kreng

Took 't Kreng for a spin this afternoon. This in preparation for the 31st edition of our Nachtrit this Saturday, where she'll be car of choice for the last reconnaissance. But first I enjoyed the DHC for well over an hour! Sadly earlier in the day the weather was still fairly cloudy so no picture proof of that. And after enjoying the DHC it was time to go to the shed to swap cars.



I have to admit that it didn’t go as planned, as I managed to lock myself outside the shed and outside the car. With the DHC it is pretty easy to gain entry without the keys. But not so with a FHC, even with an Edrose sunroof. Luckily help was at hand! And in the end I didn’t lose more than 15 minutes.
I wasn’t able to take ‘t Kreng for spin directly after taking it from the shed. But by 4 o’clock in the afternoon I did set of to enjoy the car. Was again a bit of a culture shock after driving the DHC. But it didn’t take long to adjust to the heavy quick rack steering and the firm but very effective brakes. Time to enjoy some spirited driving, the fine weather and the local scenery.






As a result it was somewhat later than expected when I got home. The car behaved pretty good. Though the engine would misfire and backfire sometimes and would idle randomly between approximately 1000 and 1500 rpm. That’s till I found that the choke had been pulled out a bit. Easily overlooked as I seldom use the choke on this car. And after some problems with the choke light switch, this was disconnected beside the road by the side of a very wet road deep in the highlands of Scotland many years ago. Due to a short circuit in the switch the fuse blew. And in the process the windscreen wipers stopped working. Not particularly handy in a heavy Scottish downpour. Luckily the cause was clearly marked by some sparks coming from underneath the dashboard …


But it resulted in me not noticing the choke was pulled out slightly. At least this was a problem easily solved. And after that the engine ran much better. Looking forward to the next trip this Saturday 😎

No comments: