Saturday 10 August 2019

10CR Preparations (#2)

Or the list gets of things-to-do before the 10CR gets shorter, does it really? Well with most of the work on the dashboard finished, the work on the interior was interrupted for a very brief period. This was because I received a small packet containing a set of plastic M4x20mm Allen bolts for the rear number plate lights.


These were to replace the steel ones I fitted as a stop gap solution … almost 10 years ago! But as a tiny fracture was starting to appear on one of the lights I thought it better to replace the steel screws with something resembling the original fasteners. Fitting these was fairly straightforward, though I had to be careful not to overtighten them. The plastic (PE) bolts have a fair amount of resistance inside the spire clips. But I managed to screw them all home without breaking one. These should keep the light armatures in place without damaging them. On the left the old steel screws, on the right the new plastic bolts.


With this small job finished it was time to carry on with where I left the interior. Over the years the instrument cluster illumination hasn’t been as it should be, with half of bulbs often not working properly. So I decided to have a look at the instrument cluster in detail, and the printed circuit in particular. And there was some light wear and damage visible at various locations on the circuit:



Luckily I had a late instrument panel lying around from one of the US spec cars I broke in the past. And this panel had what  looks like a far better circuit:


The original plan was to remove the printed circuit from its moulding and fit it to the original panel of the car. But then I noticed that 2 of the 4 slots, that keep the lower edge of the instrument panel’s plastic screen in place, were broken. Luckily I knew all instruments of the donor panel were in working condition when I removed them from the car in 2008. Time for a change of plan! Which meant cleaning the donor panel, getting rid of its silly US spec 80 MPH speedo, and replace it with the original one from GB-16-YP.


The final job for the day was left till last, replacing the bulbs for the instrument illumination. I could have left the original spec bulbs (T10 3W) in place. But I thought it a good moment for an upgrade. I have been toying with the idea of replacing the bulbs for something better for some years. And with the dashboard out I decided the moment was there for the upgrade, green T10 LED lights.



Turned out to be a very straightforward to fit them. Though they looked taller compared to the original spec T10 bulbs, they were not. So the green domes could be left in place. Not really necessary, but these might dampen some of the LED’s intensity. I will find out as soon as the instrument cluster is back in place! Soon to be continued …



2 comments:

Phil said...

any updates?

Beans said...

What updates are looking for?