Saturday 14 May 2011

Suspension upgrade 't Kreng (part 5)

With the International Auto Ecosse only a few weeks away, it was about time to get the rear suspension from ‘t Kreng sorted at last, as I want to use that car for the event (I have already scheduled two long trips to the Alps with the DHC ...)
For those who have been following my ramblings, know that I had a complete coil over set made for ‘t Kreng by AST a few years ago. I fitted the front coil over’s early in 2009, but due to other commitments (including a makeover of my DHC) I didn’t get round to fitting the rear coil over’s. Until today that is ...



But before I could fit them I first had to (re)drill a few holes in the rear suspension turrets, this to accommodate the new top mountings. I wanted the coil over’s mounted as much in the centre line of the turrets as possible. But as British Leyland thought it a good idea to mount the rear shock absorbers of centre in the turrets (slightly leaning backwards) it wasn’t simply a matter of enlarging the current hole and drill a few smaller new ones for the mounting studs. Initial plan was to weld a plate in the original hole and drill a centre hole in there, but in the end I opted for a drilling template made from a piece of 3mm steel plate I had lying around ....



This template was first used it to drill the mounting holes for the top mounts. After which it was cut up and fitted to the top of the rear turrets to act as guide for the hole saw centre drill. Was all a bit fiddly in the rather cramped space in the boot underneath the rear deck, but with the assistance of Robbie that wasn’t a big problem. And with the template in place it was time to attack the holes (I really have to invest in a better drill). Luckily the hole saw was of good quality, so soon we had two nice large holes through which the top bearing can poke out ...




And after which it was only a matter of removing the rear springs from their original location and fit the coil over’s.





Only need to refit the rear parcel shelf and the seats tomorrow (these were removed to help access to the rear suspension turrets tops). Hopefully I will have some time left afterwards for a test drive ...


No comments: