Sunday, 6 January 2019
For those that have been following my blog might remember a problem with the brakes that first appeared during Club Triumph's 10 Countries Run in 2013. Applying the brakes with normal force would give no reaction from the brakes, as if the brake pedal was locked solid. Pushing harder on the pedal always solved the problem. As the problem disappeared after the event, I forgot all about it. That was till the 2014 edition of CT's' Taith o Amgylch Cymru when the problem reappeared. So on returning home I replaced the pads, which were rather glazed:
And that seemed to have solved the problem, as the problem didn't reappear. That is till last year, when during the various tours the problem randomly reappeared a few times. About time to get some advice from the experts. The general consensus was that the brake's servo might need replacing or reconditioning. Not very surprising as during the restoration of the car the servo that came of the car was labelled as "in good working order". But clearly the various long tours, and maybe the servo's old age, had taken their toll. As the brake master cylinder also was taken directly over from the same car, I decided that it would be a good idea to have that reconditioned too. The fact that I have entered this car in this year's edition of Club Triumph's 10 Countries Run certainly helped with the decision!
Time to visit the shed in search for some spares to recondition. And this set looks to be a pretty good starting point:
These parts were dropped of at my local brake specialist C&C Parts, with the request to refurbish them. Or replace them with new parts if that was more cost effective. Hopefully these will be ready to be picked up within the next 3 or 4 weeks. Which should be time enough to fit them to the car before the driving season starts again.
One of those many small jobs that need to be done on any proper restoration. This one actually started at the end of November last year, when I visited the shed in search of a usable twist type boot lock. If possible with a matching key. All in all I managed to find four locks, including one that was donated to me by a friend. But only one with a key. Though one had a broken piece of key still stuck inside the lock barrel! I started with the complete lock.
As you can see it looked rather tatty, but it was complete, and more importantly the lock barrel was in good condition. And after some cleaning it looked much better. Sadly the chrome was badly corroded. I could have it re-plated locally, but that means that the knob's surface needs grinding back to remove the pitting from the corrosion and the loose plating. This will almost certainly remove the small rim that sits around the barrel. Time for a closer inspection of the other three remaining locks. Luckily one was in fairly good condition and deemed fit for use:
As by now I had dismantled three locks, I thought it a good idea to search for the best fitting barrel housing (or the one with the least play). After which it was a matter of reassembling the lock, which with a few pictures and a complete lock was rather straightforward. Final job was creating a new gasket to go between the lock and the boot lid. For this I used a thin (5 x 2 mm) adhesive closed-cell foam rubber.
The only jobs remaining is fitting the lock to the boot lid together with the catch and the striker.But that has to wait until after a visit to a local locksmith. See if he can provide me with some new keys. Also I'll have to go in search of a matching glove box lock. As the lock barrel I have used comes from this car, I hope the lock in the original dashboard assembly has a matching lock barrel. To be continued!
Saturday, 29 December 2018
Earlier this year it was 30 years ago that I bought my first car, a TR7 DHC. And it is hard to believe, but it was exactly 10 years ago today, that I started with the restoration of this car. How time flies! So what better way to end my blog this year with another look back. And how better than with a small selection of pictures of some of the landmark moments in the car's 18 month restoration:
29 December 2008
Dismantling begins. The cars body donor patiently waiting in the workshop for her end
4 February 2009
Patiently waiting outside the premises of the company that carried out the paint removal and initial shot blasting of all suspect areas
4 April 2009
After welding and dent removal was completed
4 May 2009
Another batch of parts cleaned, powder coated and ready to be fitted to the car
25 May 2009
Temporary storage after final shot blasting and applying the primer coat
4 July 2009
Moving on for the start of the paint preparations
(wondering why so many pictures were taken on the 4th of each month!?)
22 Augustus 2009
The (adapted) A/C heater (which had become a project in itself) finally finished
17 September 2009
One of the many seemingly small jobs that also needed doing,
refurbishing the rather period Nardi steering wheel
5 October 2009
Loaded onto the trailer, ready for its final journey to the painter
21 October 2009
In the spray booth
29 October 2009
Back home in the shed after painting
2 January 2010
First time in the sun, and with refitting all the cleaned and refurbished parts just on its way
19 February 2010
The bonnet safely stowed away, waiting for the marriage
16 May 2010
2 June 2010
Final systems check shortly before her first outing
3 June 2010
Engine fitted and connected up, ready to be fired up
5 June 2010
And finally the first test drive, and time to enjoy the lovely weather!
19 June 2010
Final check of all fluid levels, the brakes, suspension parts and engine and transmission mounts.
For those interested in the full story of the car's restoration, please have a look at my weblog using the label Restoration DHC (warning reading all posts will take some time 😜)