Wednesday 19 September 2018

New carburettors - take five



How time flies! It is already well over a month ago, that I decided I needed a few spacers to go between the fuel pump and the engine block. The idea was that fitting the spacers would reduce the throw of the fuel pumps arm. This way I hoped the fuel pressure would be lowered enough to get the car running well enough to drive her to friend's garage. And there I would be able to check the fuel pressure from the fitted mechanical fuel pump. It turned out I was on the wrong track! Fitting various spacers (ranging from 1,5 up to 6 mm) didn't change the engine's running at all. Luckily they were not very expensive to make ...


Though a round trip to pick up the fuel pressure gauge from a friend would have been slightly more cost effective. Which I eventually did as I couldn't get a decent idle from the engine. So I had to take the fuel pressure gauge to the car, just to rule things out! With the pressure gauge plumbed into the fuel supply system I found out that the fuel pressure was actually pretty low at just 0,07 Bar (or 1,0 psi). So not a chance that the carburettors were over fuelling because of the fuel pressure being too high!
I already had checked the free movement of the floats and the proper functioning of the needle valves. And these had turned out to be fine. As there still was some fuel sitting around the jets, it did look like a float problem. As the carburettors are fully rebuilt I presumed that the floats were set correctly. But I decided it would be well worth another check. The front float turned out nicely within the prescribed range. Though the rear one wasn't. With the float cover held upside down, the float wasn't resting on the float needle but on the float lid itself, though it just closed of the needle valve. But not fully compressing the needle valve's spring! Luckily I found a thin spacer for the needle valve seat in one of my spare carburettors. This brought the gap between the top of the float and the lid within the prescribed range. And after that I was able to start adjusting the idle speed. That's when I found another small problem. The throttle lever pins to be precise:


I had placed them to far apart on the spindle, resulting in them locking inside the throttle levers. Again a small gain! With these two jobs completed I was able to bring down the idle speed from 2000 rpm to under 1500 rpm, result at last! And just in case I swapped the original carburettor needles (BDL) back to see if this would change anything, it didn't.
With the carburettors now performing fairly well and the car driveable, it was time to enjoy today's fine autumn weather:



This was to blow away any cobwebs from the engine in preparation for a visit to a  friend's workshop which is planned for this Saturday. Here I have the opportunity to use his calibrated emissions tester for fine tuning the carburettors. And a second pair of eyes to check for anything else I might have overlooked. Yes I still have a strong suspicion I have overlooked something simple and obvious!
As for the car, she behaved rather well, but doesn't pull as strongly as with the slightly richer needles (BCE), I fitted before. So these will be swapped before Saturday! And the idle speed remains around 1500 rpm, with a slight irregularity from time to time. Also to be continued ...

No comments: