Saturday, 17 January 2015

Re-covering the Sparco's

Another winter project finished. When I ordered the Tartan cloth for renovating the seats of the 1976 FHC I am currently restoring, I had to order a minimum weave of 10 m¹. Which means I do have a few meters left in stock. This came in handy as the rather cheap cloth on the Sparco seats in 't Kreng was showing clear signs of wear and tear after 15 years of use. So I decided to have them recovered using a bit of the remaining cloth.  As recovering them completely in Tartan was a bit over the top I decided to go for this slightly unusual combination, using the red/black Tartan, black Alcantara and red stitching ...




I didn't make friends with my local car upholsterer with this job! Contrary to normal cloth Alcantara doesn't stretch much, which is a bit of a problem with all the curves of the seats GRP shells. But despite these problems the end result looks rather lovely and bright. But maybe next time I'd better order new seats in black and just pull Tartan covers over the centre seat cushions ...

No comments: