Thursday, 6 March 2014

FHC resto nr. 5; Next stages

With the body fully stripped, it was time to come to a decision on how to proceed with the body work. After consulting a few friends it was decided to go for thermal paint removal (pyrolysis). The complete body shell will be put in a computer controlled oven, where it will be gradually heated up to about 450ÂșC. At that temperature all paint, sealant and under body coating should evaporate. With the paint removed the shell's rotten sections and all seams will be shot blasted to get rid of all the rust. After which the welding will be carried out. So today the body, together with some bigger parts, was loaded onto the trailer and transported to a company near Eindhoven for paint removal and shot blasting.

The shell should be ready for collection and welding in two or three week's time. After which we can start in earnest with some welding. But not yet sure how to proceed after the welding has been done. There are two options I am considering right now for final body treatment;
  • Low pressure shot blasting and coating with an epoxy primer;
  • Acid dipping and E-coating;
The last came as highly recommended to me, but I have some reservations against using chemicals. Well I have a few weeks left before I have to make up my mind! Also the time between body repairs and paint preparations will be taken into account to determine how to proceed.

And to kill some time I have started  sorting through my spare parts. I thought that I only had a spare set of rear suspension arms ready to fit. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out I have an almost complete set of suspensions components powder coated and ready to fit. With all the problems I have had with the DHC over the past three to four years, I  had completely forgotten about this. They were intended as spares, but will come in handy now!
And on the subject of sorting through parts ice cream boxes are very handy at storing small parts ...

Then I received a cloth sample from House of Tartan recently to check colour and pattern. I want to use this on the seats and as inserts on the door and rear bulkhead liners. As you can see it is not what you call a perfect fit ...

But with the sample I was able to work out a pattern. I find the original pattern a bit too thin. So I opted for a slightly wider pattern, adding more colour to the interior. And I went for a traditional square Tartan pattern as opposed to the slightly stretched pattern as used by BL. Only to find out the sample was of a different weight weave, so with a different thread count. But at least I now knew that the original cloth pattern as used by BL was based on the Menzies Black & Red Clan Tartan. To be continued ... 

Then I had a first chat with the upholsterer, to see what his opinion was on this cloth. His verdict; "Nice quality but a bit thin. Might cause problems with applying the backing cloth. But that's my problem" At least that problem will be solved with a heavier weave. Also asked him if it would be possible to recover the parcel shelf in black vinyl. "Yes it can be done, but will take a lot of time (= money) to do properly ..."  I am now looking for a new parcel shelf.

And finally I made up my mind as to what steering wheel to use. For a very 70's look I really wanted an American spec early steering wheel but in the end I decided to go for feel instead of looks. But the chosen wheel should also look rather nice and period, being a variation on a for me well known theme. I have held Moto Lita wheels in my hands for more than 20 years and well over 200.000 kilometres so far ... 

No comments: