Thursday, 22 July 2010

She’s got an MOT

On Tuesday evening I changed the faulty front bearings on the driver’s side of ‘t Kreng. Turned out to be quite a challenge. First, to get the hub/disc assembly of the front strut we had to use a flange/hub puller, not a good sign. And even than it didn’t go quite easy, but we got the hub assembly of in the end. Left us with the bearing race of the inside bearing. As we couldn’t get a decent hold on it with the puller, and we didn’t want to risk damaging the axle stub with a grinder, we welded a bit of steel to it. Mainly to get more grip for the puller but also to get some heat in it so it would expand a bit ...


This worked very well, the bearing race came off without any problem, and no damage to the axle stub. But next time I really should remove the coating before I fit the bearings ...
With everything of it was time to inspect everything. Clearly this bearing got to hot somewhere in the past 5500 kilometres ...


After the hassle of removing the damaged bearings, fitting the new ones was very easy indeed ...


Slightly more worrying is this little crack in the left-hand brake disc. Not enough to change the disc yet, but certainly something to keep a constant eye on in the future ...


Yesterday afternoon I sourced and fitted the wiper refills for the driver’s side, so both wipers could be refurbished ...


And fitted the wipers to the car.

This afternoon I dropped the car of at the MOT garage with the message that she should be OK. They didn’t even bother to check my work, and reported the car to the RDW as passed. There was no sample check on the car from the RDW, so now I have another years MOT.
And just found out that the DHC being older than 30 years now, only has to go for its MOT ones every two years.

No comments: