Friday 2 May 2008

Found a water pump today ...

Somewhere early this year I started on reconditioning the water pump that I took out of ‘t Kreng in late summer last year. After I had the impeller’s seal mating face machined on a lathe I put the impeller in an oil filled tin to get rid of the last bits of rust. After that I forgot all about it until early this week.
In a fit of spring fever I decided it a good idea to clean up a bit. That’s when I found all the bits back. I decided to put the pump back together so I could store it in the attic with the rest of the TR7’s spare parts. So after everything was cleaned thoroughly, it was just a matter of putting everything back in place in the correct order;



For the anoraks; the water thrower and oil seal have changed places in this picture 😉

First thing to go back on the pumps shaft was the oil thrower and bearing. As I don’t have the special tools required to do this job I used the drill column’s platform and a copper hammer instead;


If you have the correct tools putting the circlip in place is rather easy. Just make sure you don’t open up the circlip to far, otherwise it may lose its strength;


After that it was easy to put the oil seal and water thrower on the shaft. I only forget that it would be a far better idea to first put the brass “cage” over the bearing. Luckily the water thrower came off without problems!


The brass cage proved to be quite a challenge to put back on without damaging anything. Problem was that I couldn’t find anything to support it properly. In the end I put it in the vice and, with a drift on the bearing's outer ring, tapped the bearing gently into the cage. With that job done, putting the rest of the pump together was easy;



Have made a mental note to make a special tool in the near future to dismantle and reassemble these pumps. Should make life quite a bit easier.

No comments: