Friday, 2 May 2008

Found a water pump today ...

Somewhere early this year I started on reconditioning the water pump that I took out of ‘t Kreng in late summer last year. After I had the impeller’s seal mating face machined on a lathe I put the impeller in an oil filled tin to get rid of the last bits of rust. After that I forgot all about it until early this week.
In a fit of spring fever I decided it a good idea to clean up a bit. That’s when I found all the bits back. I decided to put the pump back together so I could store it in the attic with the rest of the TR7’s spare parts. So after everything was cleaned thoroughly, it was just a matter of putting everything back in place in the correct order.


For the anoraks; the water thrower and oil seal have changed places in this picture :-)

First thing to go back on the pumps shaft was the oil thrower and bearing. As I don’t have the special tools required to do this job I used the drill column’s platform and a copper hammer instead ...


If you have the correct tools putting the circlip in place is rather easy. Just make sure you don’t open up the circlip to far, otherwise it may lose its strength.


After that it was easy to put the oil seal and water thrower on the shaft. I only forget that it would be a far better idea to first put the brass “cage” over the bearing. Luckily the water thrower came off without problems!


The brass cage proved to be quite a challenge to put back on without damaging anything. Problem was that I couldn’t find anything to support it properly. In the end I put it in the vice and, with a drift on the bearing's outer ring, tapped the bearing gently into the cage. With that job done, putting the rest of the pump together was easy.


Have made a mental note to make a special tool in the near future to dismantle and reassemble these pumps. Should make life quite a bit easier.

No comments: