Thursday, 3 January 2008

Ruined water pump

Under the pretention of resupplying the spare parts a bit I had a go at reconditioning the water pump I took out of ‘t Kreng in September. To start with I tried to remove the impeller from the shaft. After some not to heavy taps on the top of the shaft with a hammer I could see that the shaft had moved a bit … I had progress. So I continued with the tapping. Until the impeller suddenly fell apart in 5 pieces. Damn, I hate jig saws!


Looking at the surface of the cracks I can only conclude that the quality of the casting isn't that great. It looks rather brittle with quite a lot of crystals in it. And yes it was an aftermarket item, not an original Unipart one.

So while I was working on Renés Dolomite today I rummaged through his parts attic and found a pump with a fairly good impeller and a completely knackered shaft (missing a few teeth). Ideal, as the shaft of the pump I wanted to recondition is in pretty good shape. And this impeller came off without a problem.


As you can see it looks a bit rusty but that’s only very light surface rust. Only thing that needs to be done is machining the mating surface for the seal lightly to get it smooth again.

No comments: