Monday 17 September 2018

FHC resto nr. 68; Some small jobs

As the work on the DHC's carburettors and this car's heater has hit a small snag, I decided to address some smaller jobs to keep myself busy and keep motivation going. The first one was to store one small part that otherwise would probably get lost somewhere in the shed. So I decided to fit it to the car. This way there's no way I can lose it! It was the infamous steering shaft bush, in this case in the poly bush variety. As I could work from inside the engine bay, fitting it was even easier than when I had to replace the one from 't Kreng a few years ago. I only needed the handle from a hammer to give it a final push to seat it properly:


Next job was fitting the fuel tank's gauge unit. Sounds straightforward, but it took me almost half an hour to get it into position. This was caused by the tank sealant I used, blocking part of one of the recesses for the two alignment tabs of the unit. But after carefully cleaning the recess with a pen knife and with the help of a small hammer the unit finally yielded, and seated properly:


And I trial fitted the fuel filler neck together with its bezel and filler cap. Just to find out that the fuel filler neck is from a very early car indeed, as the mounting holes in the filler necks mounting plate were less than ø 5 mm, while the nuts welded to the filler panel have M6 threads. And that isn't surprising as the filler neck is from ACG96L and the rear deck from ACG10448L. At least this was easily sorted with a ø 6,5 mm drill to enlarge the holes in the filler neck's mounting plate. But the main reason for fitting it was to determine the length of the filler hose that will be needed for this set up. And it gave a good impression how the rear deck will look once it is finished:


But most importantly I spent some time in the shed trying to get a feel of all the parts stacked there and where everything is put away. And hoping to find a fuel filler hose to use on the car or as a template. So far none found, but still a few boxes to go ...

No comments: