Friday, 27 May 2016
It's been a while since my last report on the FHC restoration and there has been a very good reason for that. Due to other commitments there was not much to report. But yesterday I used the fine (read warm) weather as an excuse to have a go at wax-oiling all the box-sections and cavities of the cars' body.
When restoring the DHC a few years ago I made the mistake of wax-oiling the car late in the year with lowish temperatures. In the end I got everything covered with the sticky stuff, including myself. But it took a rather long time as the spray tubes clogged up frequently due to the cold temperatures. Not so yesterday. After covering the floor with a liberal amount of corrugated cardboard it was time start.
For the DHC I used the classic brown wax-oil from Dinitrol, but that was no longer available through my usual supplier. So they supplied me with a colourless alternative from Motip (Section Wax). It certainly is as sticky as Dinitrol, only it is less visible. Which can be an advantage or a disadvantage. Depends how you look at it. But I think I got everything pretty well covered! Only the sub frame, doors, bonnet and bootlid are still waiting to get the same treatment.
Will give it some time for the surplus wax-oil to drip out ...
Other jobs carried out so far, coating the springs so they match the interior, and searching through my spare wiring looms in search of a half decent late European specification one. Refurbishing and checking all wiring will be next on the to do list together with having all smallish parts coated.