Saturday, 27 February 2016

Adding lightness & light part 2

With some lightness and coating added to the headlamp pod's mountings, I started fitting everything back to the car. But not before some final coating. With the pods permanently in the "up" position there is a fair chance of being blinded by (sun)light reflecting onto them. So they were duly coated matt black. I had hoped to finish this little project in the few hours available today. The right hand side went pretty smoothly ...


But while refitting the left hand headlamp support and pod I was reminded of the fact that while restoring the car many years ago, that had been a bit of a struggle too. The complete assembly was sitting to far to the inside, clearly visible in the pictures below. The right hand side ...


... and the left hand side ...


As a result of this the pod was touching the edge of the aperture in the front panel. At the time I thought I had fitted the pod incorrect onto the lifting mechanism. But it turned out that the mounting panel was fitted rather badly to the car's body shell. So the spacers I used than between headlamp support and bulkhead were duly refitted. This improved the positioning of the pod enough to give fairly even gaps, although I did use a rubber strip between pod  and bodywork for extra peace of mind. After that it was time to refit the headlamp bowls (also treated to a new layer of black powder coating) and wiring ...



Remain fitting the headlights and the rubber headlight surrounds ...

No comments: