Sunday, 22 November 2015

FHC resto nr. 43; Sound proofing

I made a start on the next stage of the restoration of my early Dutch coupé. For those who have been following my ramblings here over the years, this post will be a bit of a déjà vu ...
Over the previous two weeks I have been busy cutting a few square meters (4,0 m² to be precise) of soundproofing pads in the required pattern. As the 3M sound proofing pads (#08840) used on the DHC are doing a good job and they were easy to apply I again opted for these. But this time there was no need to make up templates, as I had stored the ones used on the DHC some 6 years ago.

And yesterday I went over to the shed to fit the pads. This time it took me only a few hours to fit all the prepared pads. It clearly pays off when you come prepared with the correct tools and knowledge on how best to apply the pads. It was again a rather rewarding few hours work ...




The front of the interior


Rear bulk head panels

The spare wheel well

Inside of the left hand rear wing

Sadly I overlooked the fact that the templates had been cut for the DHC. This meant that a few pads needed some slight alterations to fit them properly. But also the two pads for the rear of the sills were completely incorrect. I forgot that the FHC doesn't have the stiffening brace behind the doors! So I will need another pad plus a different template for this section of the body.
Another small problem only showed when I was uploading the pictures to my computer: one of the edges of the pad in the RH rear wing has come loose. Probably I didn't warm it enough, but that should be easy to rectify with the paint-stripper.

No comments: