Thursday 1 October 2015

Carburettor mount modification

This was actually a job on my DHC I wanted to carry out before the recent 10 Countries Run. But I received these parts on the day of our departure, so to late to fit them ...


They are a set of insulation spacers (gaskets thanks to GTRoger:-). The idea behind them is to prevent heat soak to the carburettors through the recently fitted alloy carburettor mounts. Thus preventing the fuelling from being influenced to much by the engine's heat. But these spacers would also delete another problem with the newly fitted mounts, the used studs were slightly to long. I could tighten the two top middle nuts, but only just. The studs were now just touching the carburettor's. So this would also cause problems somewhere in the future ...


Didn't quite look forward to this job, but the weather was fine and I am still enjoying the last few days of my holiday, so  I pulled the spanners out and set to work. Initial plan was to disconnect everything from the carburettors except the choke cable (to frayed) and remove the complete assembly held together by the airbox's back plate. And although access to the lower nuts isn't ideal this way, it was far easier than expected. And within 30 minutes the carburettors were off ...




I also removed the steel brace between the two carburettors, because with the alloy mounts they are mounted solidly. So no need to refit it. Added bonus with this brace removed is that access to the carburettor linkage (especially the ball jointed connecting rod) is greatly improved.


Refitting was literally the reverse of the removal. And within two hours after I started this job I could pack the tools away and have a brew. An afternoon well spent.

No comments: