Monday 27 April 2015

Carburettor linkage woes

After a rather enjoyable test drive almost two weeks ago I could only conclude that the throttle linkage was a bit to long. This resulted in a slightly higher idle as normal. As the link was set to its shortest length when I put it in, there was only one way to get this sorted properly. Remove the linkage assembly, shorten the linkage rod a few millimetres and put it all back in ...


In the picture above you can see the original linkage on the right, my own creation using the old and by now rather worn Weber linkage in the middle and the new linkage on the left. Clearly visible is the difference in length. Easy to rectify with a small cutting disc, resulting in a bit more adjustment. Spot the difference ...


Sadly refitting it wasn't as easy as that. For those who have performed this task will know that room to manoeuvre is restricted to say the least. And in my case it resulted in lots of dropped spanners, small bolts and washers. And I made the mistake to assemble the linkage without locking the ends in position. I thought it would be easier to get a proper fit this way. It wasn't. In the end I had to remove the throttle mounting bracket (UKC7156) from the car in order to get the linkage in place.
And while refitting the bracket I found out that the threads in one of the two bolt holes in the manifold had stripped out. This is temporarily fixed by removing the washers from under the bolt heads. Wondering what best to do, fit some thread-repair-inserts or fit a brand new manifold I found between my spares recently ...

No comments: