Sunday, 14 December 2014

Alloy SU mounts part 2

Or how the transformation from digital file to machined parts looks like. Friday evening there was a fairly large box waiting for me at home. Sure it came from Schaeffer, and nicely within their estimated delivery window. The only thing that struck me as odd was the box's size. It really was vast for what it should contain ...


For comparison I put an original carburettor mount on top of it  together with the bolts needed to finish them. So did I make a mistake with the files, or did something go wrong on-line? Or did they just run out of smaller boxes? But a quick inspection of the contents showed me all looked fine.


This was confirmed after removing the parts from their protective wrapping ...



... and comparing them with an original mounting block. This was a bit of a tense moment as there is always some doubt in the back of my head ... "did I measure everything correctly". But I needn't have worried there as everything fits as it should and all holes align correctly ...



And as an added bonus these alloy mounts are each 40 grams lighter in comparison to the original rubber ones. See how they behave on the car, and in particular how they influence heat transfer to the carburettors. Well, the first little winter project is finished. Getting cool air into the carburettors is one of the other jobs for this winter. To be continued.

No comments: