Monday 11 November 2013

New wheels for the DHC

Over the past few weeks I have been busy with getting the Wolfrace Turbo's from the FHC refurbished. But first I had to remove them from the car without immobilizing it completely. So fitted this set of wheels I had lying around, to keep the car mobile ...


With the Wolfrace wheels of the car it was time to inspect them in more detail. Although they looked rather tatty they were completely straight and undamaged. But definitely in need of a new coating ...



Probably the biggest challenge might be the rather special wheel nuts and washers, some of which were badly corroded ...



For (powder)coating the wheels I used a guy in Belgium to do the job (VRS Workz in Opglabbeek, sadly they are no longer in business) and I must say that he did a very good job indeed. Reasonably priced and ready in a week, what more do you want? And while looking around for someone to re-chrome the wheel nuts and washers, a friend pointed me to a company in the neighbouring village. Was a bit embarrassing in that I pass by there every day when I cycle to work. They too did a very fine job. Leaving me with the final job of fitting some new original specification tyres (Continental Ecocontact3 185/70-R13) and fit the new wheel/tyre combination to the car ...





Only one job remaining, finding some decent wheel centres. Or have a set made? And the black steel wheels? They will find a new home on the '76 FHC.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Did you find center caps? I am looking for centrr caps for set of wheels on TR7. what is needed for lugs also? S?Do you have the dimensions of the caps and lugs?

Love the blog post

Beans said...

Hi Mark,

I had one centre cap which I used that to make shorter 3D model to my own liking/design.
This was printed in black plastic at a local company.
Can't give details on the wheel's sleeve nuts and dished washers as there was a complete set with the wheels on the car. They just needed polishing and chrome plating. So I never measured them.

Beans said...

https://tr7beans.blogspot.com/2015/02/dhc-wheel-centre-update.html