Sunday 27 October 2013

New project (1976 FHC)


I really didn't want to buy another TR7, but when I saw this one advertised and I noticed the Wolfrace Turbo wheels, my interest was generated. I have been looking for a set of these for the DHC for as long as I drive my TR7's. Also it has been a public secret (for those who know me) that I have been longing for an early original Dutch FHC for an almost equal long time. So I made an appointment to view the car. And the first impression wasn't too bad ...


It is an original Dutch car, which was first registered on the 6th of October 1976 (Chassis number ACG2693L) And it turned out the overall condition of the car was pretty good, considering it is 37 years old. Some rust/rot in all the usual areas ...



But overall a good solid car ...


The biggest problem areas are the boot, which has been butchered to accommodate a twin exhaust system ...



Also the rear deck panel between the rear window and boot lid has been replaced somewhere in the past with a later type panel with the small filler cap. But they forgot that the position of the filler cap is different as a result of which the filler neck doesn't fit inside the shroud in the boot. And it looks like the panel wasn't fitted properly as the boot lid doesn't fit correctly. It sticks out a bit at the rear of the car.

The interior is in fairly good condition considering its age. Which means that the doorliners are warped by moisture. And the dashboard has some extra gauges added to it, which probably means a fair amount of ugly holes. Will see if I can get them repaired, otherwise I will have to raid my parts bin again.


The engine when ticking over sounds nice and quiet, but when revving it there is a very pronounced  rattle from inside which gets worse while moving and sounds very much like a very worn distributor chain clattering against its guides. So the test drive was kept short, just long enough to test if the (Dolomite Sprint) gearbox had all gears still inside, which it had. And to check that the fitted overdrive is working, which it did. But the gear shift is a bit vague (more like stirring a 'box full of gears instead of changing gears). And the overdrive is a bit slow in engaging, but then it was cold so not to worrying. Nothing that can't be sorted with the bits I have lying around I think.


So to sum it up, overall not a bad car. Or maybe it is better to use this (also early) bodyshell that has been lingering in various sheds over the past 10 years ...


It comes complete with spare wheel well and correct rear deck. But it is missing the front panels (wings and headlight panel). But I have a few new panels lying around. So I will have a chat with the body man soon and see what is the best way to tackle the various problem areas.


So this car has changed my TR7 plans a bit. Instead of dismantling 't Kreng for a full restoration and rebuilt as a rally car, I will now start on this car first. And 't Kreng will get more of a rolling restoration/adaptation. But I will start with the wheels and get them refurbished so I can fit them to the DHC ...

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Hello,
With only 9000 km from new a French car "Bullet" 1976 has been renew in 2011. Pics of the work are on this link . I have seen this TR7 and finished it looks near as new.
Good time work to you with your new one.
best regards from France Patrick

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet388829.htm

Beans said...

Thanks, first some other jobs to do on my other cars ...

Unknown said...

Mooi Project! Leuk detail ook het chassisnummer, ik heb zelf ACG2700L. Zit dus maar 7 auto`s tussen!

Groet,

A. vd Laan

Beans said...

Hi Arno,

Interesting info, indeed very close.
May I ask what licence number your car is?
These should also be pretty close.

Unknown said...

Hi,
My rally "Bullet" chassisnummer is ACG2702L!! Also from NL. Strange is, that first registration is in may 1979 ??
Nice job, those Wolfram Turbo wheels fit super good.

Andres, Estonia

Beans said...

Thx Andres, do you have the original Dutch registration document with the car?
if so the date of first registration should be stamped on it.
Also it should have the code "00TRIP-****2702" on the registration document.
If not it was probably imported into the Netherlands early in its life.