Wednesday, 17 July 2013

10CR Preparations part 1

With the start of the 10CR less than 50 days away it was time to start preparing the chosen car for the event, the DHC. But first she needed a new valuation for the insurance. The valuator (same guy who did the valuation after the restoration three years ago) was positively surprised by the new paint job, and how well the car had "aged" despite three trips to the Alps. And this showed in cars new value ! And the insurance as ever were rather quick to change the insurance policy! With this administrative job done, it was time to start on the car itself.

First job was fitting some extra equipment, like a pair of drink bottle cages. First wanted to fit them somewhere on or near the B-posts. But in the end I thought this location would be much better...






Also fitted a map-light-magnifier, to aid navigation on the night time section through France, on the first and longest stage of the event, together with an invaluable pen(cil)holder to prevent loose pens all over the foot wells ...




And while checking the fuel gauge I found out why part of the instrument panel was not illuminated. One of the bulbs had decided to pack up, but not before overheating badly and melting part of the green cover. Clearly something wrong with this bulb as the other covers were in perfect condition despite their bulbs (with the same Wattage) having seen much more action in the past three years ...




The fuel gauge turned out to be OK, so next item to check is the tank sender, but for that I'll first have to drive the car for a few more kilometres to get the tank a bit more empty ...

Another item on the to-do-list was some maintenance to the leather seats. This had been postponed several times because I hate the job, as it's rather boring and time consuming applying hide food with a cloth or a brush. But over the past few weeks I have been searching for better and easier options, which in the end I found in the shape of a spray bottle of Nikwax Leather Restorer. I have been using Nikwax products for my walking boots for years now, but I missed the fact that they also had for other products. And as with all their products it's rather easy to apply, spray on, wait a few minutes, wipe of excessive product, ready. Covering the car's interior to prevent overspray took longer. Some shots before, during and after treatment ...








Remaining list of things to do;
• Get some more miles on the new gear box;
• Fit banded steel wheels with new tyres;
• Get the fuel gauge working, now looking for another tank sender;
• Check back axle bearings;
• Fit new front anti-roll-bar and check alignment;
• Fit new badges/stickers;
• General service;
• Connect map light magnifier and fit some extra interior lights.
I have started on the last item on the list, fitting some extra lights to aid retrieval of dropped items from the foot wells in the dark. For this I will be using small green LED's which will be strategically placed to illuminate the foot wells and the glovebox. The ones in the steering column shroud fitted already ...


No comments: