Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Christmas period shopping

Been a while since my last update. And I have to admit that I have done nothing physical to one of my Triumphs. Mostly caused by other commitments, like starting work full time again after my illness and playing around with my new version of Photoshop. Which means I have been going over some old RAW images in my spare time, to see if there was room for improvement. Actually there was, as these pictures, shot during the maiden trip of the DHC into the Alps in the summer of 2010, clearly show ...




But that doesn't imply I have been completely idle on things TR7 related. Over the past month or so I have been busy sourcing parts for my new Sprint engine and the rejuvenation of 't Kreng. First parts I received were a brand new matched crown wheel and pinion set for the back axle I will be building and a set of +0.040" Sprint pistons from Australia ...


But then one of my friends spoiled it all, by pointing me to an advert on the internet for a brand new and ready to fit Sprint head still in its original box, and not that far away from home either ...



So maybe the DHC will get a Sprint engine too somewhere in the future. And it turned out that the guy advertising the head also had some original (Austin/Rover) TR7 panels for sale. You never know when you are going to need them ...


And with the shiny bits done it was time to start sorting through my spare parts in search of an engine block suitable to use for the new Sprint engine. I wanted to use the original Dolly Sprint engine I took apart some time ago but as this is in such good condition I will probably put it back together as a spare engine. So I choose the engine block and parts from a very low mileage Californian spec DHC. The added bonus with this engine is that it does need a light rebore, and there is no way I am going to use those silly low compression pistons (indeed no plans for a turbo or blower yet) ...



With the engine removed from the storage shed I went through my spare back axles. Because I have decided on converting the rear suspension of the car to four parallel links with either a Watts linkage or a Panhard rod, I will have to weld some new mounting brackets to the axle. Which is why I choose the worst looking axle from the three I have lying around ...


This immediately explains why I bought a new CWP set, all three axles have a 3.45:1 ratio and for 't Kreng I really want the shorter 3.90:1 ratio as it suits the car much better. The remaining 3.45:1 axles and parts will be kept as spares for the DHC. But at the current rate of wear they might be in the storage shed for a very long time yet.

On closer inspection the worst axle (from a fairly low mileage Solihull FHC that had been lying abandoned out in the open for over 4 years) it turned out to be in pretty good shape too. Internals are very good with no noticeable play. And even all the brackets are in pretty good shape, with only surface rust on them. Almost blasphemous to cut them of ...



And of course I wanted to change the DHC's gearbox during my Christmas holiday but that is postponed for another few weeks.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hello
Your pic of your green drophead is full of power with moutains and clouds and prooves the shape of the work of Giovanni Michelotti on the TR7 to build the cabriolet is really fantastic.
best regars from France
Tr7 Driver

Beans said...

Thx for the comment.
I also like that picture, mainly because of the dark looming clouds in the background and the slightly softened sunlight on the car.
What I call a lucky shot, being at the right place at the right time :-)