Saturday 25 September 2010

Leaky Clutch master

I clearly was a bit overoptimistic in my last report. After the Triumph Festival last Sunday I thought it a good idea to check the engine bay thoroughly when everything had cooled down a bit. Which is what I did last Monday. Everything on the engine turned out to be fine, no more visible leaks and the slot underneath the water pump was completely dry ...


So everything looked pretty much OK, until I removed the cap from the clutch master cylinder that is. The level had clearly dropped a bit and the fluid was looking rather dark and murky, not a good sign. A quick look inside the foot well confirmed what I feared. There was a drop of (very dark) brake fluid hanging underneath the dust cap. So a clear sign that the seal from the clutch master cylinder had perished. Luckily there were no visible traces of fluid on the carpets or the pedal box yet. Clearly found the leak just in time.

So a change of the master cylinder was on the cards. Luckily I had a rebuilt one lying in the attic. Plan was to change the cylinder today but as I was home from work rather early last Thursday, I thought it a good idea to start with the preparations for the change. 45 minutes later the rebuilt cylinder was in place. It only needed bleeding, but as it was dark by now I kept that for today.

As the clutch hose and slave cylinder were still full of fluid I could use my proven bleeding method, using the self bleeding abilities of the system. Depressing the pedal slowly and releasing it quickly got all the air out. As I had no assistance this time I took my time, giving the little amount of air in the system plenty of time to collect at the top of the clutch hose ...


With the bleeding finished I turned my attention to the leaking cylinder. Taking the piston out clearly showed why it was leaking, the seal was well worn ...


As the bore looks undamaged, I’ll clean it in the near future and put it in the attic for future use, together with a rebuild kit.

And with the weather being rather fine for a Dutch autumn, I decided to put the roof down and take the car out for a spin, to see if everything was working OK. Was rather enjoyable dodging the various rain showers ...


No comments: