Saturday 31 July 2010

999 Kilometres

After nearly 1000 kilometres since she came back on the road and in preparation for next week’s Alpine Tour I went over to a friend’s workshop to check all nuts and bolts underneath the car. Didn’t do this at Robbie’s workshop as I wanted the car to be on its wheels when (re)tightening the suspension bolts. So I needed a four post lift ...


There were a few nuts and bolts that needed to be tightened a bit, but nothing seriously wrong so far. And with ‘t Kreng’s MOT failure fresh in mind I checked the wheel bearings, nothing wrong either.

But while underneath the car I was reminded of the fact that the centre silencer box has a tendency to turn around slowly with time. I have been thinking of some welding in the past but this is a much easier solution ...


But when I returned home this afternoon, and after the car had sat for about half an hour I did a check of the engine. Guess what, after exactly 999 kilometres the water pump seems to have developed a leak. Over the past few weeks there was always a bit of moisture inside the slot underneath the pump, but no traces of coolant on the block itself. There were now! Also the coolant level has dropped a bit, so it looks like I have some work to do tomorrow. Luckily I do have a spare pump lying around, but the original plan, of a few easy days of preparing for the trip, will have to be discarded ...

No comments: