Saturday, 29 May 2010

DHC report nr. 94; Two steps backwards

In the past week it was mostly sorting various problems. The first problem I tackled were the two faulty brake pipes on the back axle. These were supplied with incorrect end fittings ...


As the fittings were too short they not only were very difficult to fit (and remove ...), they also didn’t seal properly. So after a phone call a new set was collected from C&C Parts earlier in the week, after which it was again time to get the little brake-pipe-bending tool out and bent them in the correct shape.


With the pipes in the correct shape fitting them to the axle turned out to be a much easier exercise with the correct fittings.

The other problem, and a serious one, was the central dashboard vent. One side of which didn’t seat properly, as a result of which the upper right hand corner stuck out some 5 millimetres. Not very worrying if you don’t notice it, but I did. And every time I looked at the dashboard it irritated me. So this one needed to get sorted properly. After two unsuccessful attempts over the past week I decided to go for a little bodge job, but for that I had to dismantle part of the dashboard. Also loosened all mounting screws and bolts to give me as much freedom of movement as possible without having to remove the complete dashboard ...


With all necessary parts removed I found out that there was no room for the bodge repair I had in mind. But I also found out what caused the problem. It was actually a combination of several alignment problems (heater, instrument panel and dashboard) combined with the new rubber seals. To cut a long story short, I removed the vents completely, removed the seals and replaced these with thinner ones. And after reshuffling everything were possible the vents clicked in place as they were meant to do. Will probably sleep much better tonight! 

Next job was fitting the oil cooler and connecting it to the engine. I wanted to re-use the old oil cooler but with new hoses, as the old braided ones were looking rather frayed and scruffy. But while trying to remove the hoses from the old oil cooler, to measure the fittings, the spanner, supporting the fitting on the oil cooler, slipped off. As a result of which the full force of the 24mm spanner I was using to undo the hose fitting, was released on the alloy cooler, which it didn’t survive. So a new one was ordered together with new hose and hose fittings ...


Making up the new hoses went pretty quickly once I worked out how best to tackle it. And fitting everything to the car was rather easy. Although I was glad when everything was connected without shearing of one off the cooler’s fittings ...



And with the hoses connected to the engine I could at last put the air filters back on the carburettors.


Only the smaller coolant hoses remain to be fitted, together with the exhaust clamps and the bonnet lock. After that filling her up with all the necessary fluids, bleed the clutch and brakes, check all systems, bond in a new wind screen, fit wipers and ...

No comments: