Sunday, 28 June 2009

DHC report nr. 31; Door handles & heater

At the moment I am spending a fair bit of my spare time on preparing parts and get them ready for when I can start with the reassembly of the car. Like the door-handles, after they were coated (black of course) first thing to get sorted were the small bump-stop rubbers for the handles. As new ones seem to be unavailable I rummaged through a friends “rubber-thingies-magazine” and came up with two rubbers like the one on the extreme right ...


Compared to the original ones on the left, they are way too high. But that was easily rectified with a pen knife and some sanding paper. The exact thickness was a bit of a guess but in the end the handles sit pretty nicely aligned with the surround.


With the rubber stops sorted it was time to clean the various parts ...


And assemble them ...


For good measure I swapped the lock barrels left to right (assuming that the driver’s side was used much more then the right hand side).


With the door handles sorted I started on probably the biggest challenge of the restoration, rebuilding the heater unit. Main reason I pulled it apart was the fact that I wanted to get rid of the A/C bits, and the foam covering on the different flaps was in a rather bad shape. So I got myself an assortment of EDPM (closed-cell-foam) rubber from a local rubber company. And after all the bits were coated I started with refurbishing the flaps ...


Cleaned the ventilator assembly ...


And started with riveting the ventilator housing back together before I ran out of pop rivets ...



No comments: