Thursday, 17 July 2008

DHC MOT aftermath

After the DHC passed its MOT, first thing to do was get an appointment with the local branch of the RDW to get a new VIN number somewhere in the car. As the number, that had been stamped in the car when it was imported from the US of A in 1994, wasn’t correct, I thought it a good idea to try and get this rectified.
When the car came to the Netherlands, the customs clearly had overlooked the VIN number in the boot gutter. They used the US market commission number instead. This number is found on two alloy plates, one is mounted below the LH door lock striker plate;

The other one is situated at the base of the windscreen.
As it was obvious that (whatever happened) the cars paperwork had to be completely renewed I decided on a little gamble. Thrifty as ever I’d try to persuade the inspector to change the VIN number on the car’s licence and use the proper VIN number in the boot’s rain gutter.

This would save me some money and the paper work would be correct for the car. So I took every scrap of information I could find on late TR7’s VIN numbers with me and explained the inspector the whole story. I had been rather thorough but I was nevertheless pleasantly surprised when he accepted my suggestion.
And today the car's new licence was in the post, so after 14 years the car has its proper identity back.